Monday, February 01, 2016

What I Read in January #WhatJanessaReads

What I Read in January #WhatJanessaReads - TheCraftyMann.Blogspot.Ca

You can follow along on my 2016 Goodreads Challenge here. I read 20 of the 100 books I decided I would read in 2016. (In this blog post I discussed why I lowered my goal from last year's 200 to 100 for 2016). I am also a big believer in my Kobo Aura, and love how the Toronto Public Library has so many e-books available to borrow.

What I Read in January #WhatJanessaReads - TheCraftyMann.Blogspot.Ca

Last year I went kinda crazy in the aftermath of graduating with an English Literature degree, and wanted to read only "fun" things, not things where I would have to think. For me, that meant mostly cozy murder mysteries. Obviously, from this list, you can tell that I haven't given that up. However, I am working on more "Serious" novels now, in preparation for my applications to grad school. As I said in my 2016 Goals post, I want to read all the CBC Canada Reads books. Of course, there's a long, long waiting list for each of them at the library.

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Into the Void - Tim Lebbon
After watching the newest Star Wars, and being confused about how they changed the storyline from what I knew about the books, I decided I would start reading all the stories, chronologically. This book takes place thousands and thousands of years before Luke and Leia, and features a badass heroine.

Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris
Come Hell or Highball -

Floral Depravity - Beverly Allen
This book is in a series about a floral shop run by two young women, and it murder happens at a Medieval Fair wedding! Yup. Very specific.

Buffalo West Wing - Julie Hyzy

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
I was expecting to love this book, since I am an English Literature Graduate, but maybe I read it too quickly. I disliked most of the characters, and some of the philosophy was lost on me. Oops.

Dead as a Doornail - Charlaine Harris
The Book of Jezebel: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Lady Things - Anna Holmes, Kate Harding, and Amanda Hess
The Wealthy Barber Returns - David Chilton
Murder at Longbourn - Tracey Kiely
One Book in the Grave - Kate Carlisle

2,100 Asanas - Daniel Lacerda
This book is an amazing encyclopedia for yoga asanas if you're more advanced in your practice!

Plot Boiler - Ali Brandon
Tarnished and Torn - Juliet Blackwell
Pall in the Family - Dawn Eastman

Definitely Dead - Charlaine Harris
I didn't like Sookie at the start of the series, but now she's standing up for herself, and doing awesome things. It's really gone uphill!

Tess of the d'Ubervilles - Thomas Hardy
Murder at Redwood Cove - Janet Finisilver
The Marsh Madness - Victoria Abbott
Affairs of Steak - Julie Hyzy

What did you read in January? Any recommendations for me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment