Friday, March 20, 2015

New Makeup: Smashbox and Rimmel Apocalips

My previous foundation was Bourjois' Healthy Mix Serum Gel formulation, and I loved it. It wasn't terribly long-wearing, but it was great on my sensitive skin. When I went to repurchase, my Shoppers didn't have any unopened 52 Vanillas. That was gross. A very helpful clerk directed me to Smashbox's Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation.
Surprisingly, I was matched at their lightest, "1.1."
The colour match is really good.
At first I wasn't too sure about this foundation. It seems to be a thicker consistency than my Bourjois, but I need 3 pumps instead of 2. I'm also not sure if I'm just trying harder to buff the foundation in (with a Real Techniques face brush) or if I'm finally learning how to apply foundation to last longer.
The foundation hasn't broken me out, which is awesome, and I haven't noticed a distinct smell.
Things to test: if it's actually "sweat and humidity resistant," and just how "transfer-proof" it is. I definitely transfer if I blow my nose within ten minutes of applying it.

The second new product is my Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer. I mentioned to the clerk that I was disappointed with my Benefit Porefessional Primer. She agreed that she's never really had success with that one, and it's more for minimizing pores rather than extending foundation life. (I have a great problem where my foundation is gone by lunchtime, so that's a waste of money and time applying.) She gave me a sample of the Hydrating Primer.
At first I thought it was stupid. The first week it didn't do anything to help my foundation last longer, which made me also not be impressed with the foundation that claims to last 15 hours.
Wednesday night I was watching a YouTube tutorial where the woman spent a lot longer rubbing the primer in, and I realized I was using too much primer, and not properly.
My makeup on Friday? Flawless.
I had been hoping I wouldn't like it, since the primer is $42, but it's great. I'm not sure if I'll love it for the summer since my face isn't as dry then, but I'll keep y'all posted if I purchase a full tube.

I have been on a quest to find a long-lasting match for my Nars "Funny Face" lipstick to go on as a base for my wedding. I did lots of research on drugstore lip laquers and stains, and finally purchased Rimmel London's Apocalips Lip Lacquer in Apocaliptic.
It matches the fuschia lipstick perfectly!
Rimmel makes no claim that it lasts forever, but the lipstick lasted through an entire shift at work (where I don't get to touch up other than after food--and it wasn't necessary!). I'm only able to wear balms and lipstick that I know will not budge because I don't have a mirror to check if I've suddenly smudged my face around.
First Impression: A little drying after... 8 hours of wear, but still looks fresh and doesn't bleed out of the lines. The colour looks great on me now while I'm pale, and since "Funny Face" is great in the summer, this should be fine for the wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment